Everyone–small businesses, large organizations, individuals–can benefit from being more cyber aware, which is why Strategic Grantsmanship is partnering with Duke City Consulting’s Cyber Group (DCC Cyber) for National Cybersecurity Awareness Month (NCSAM). DCC Cyber specializes in plain language cybersecurity for small and emerging businesses, from freelancers and solopreneurs to lean startups and consultancies.
Cybersecurity risk continues to rise, and, although 80% of respondents to a recent survey expressed concern about being the victim of a cyber breach, only 31% received annual company-wide cybersecurity training. As larger businesses become hardened targets, smaller businesses become easy marks, primarily because they think they are too small to be targets and spend too little attention to their cybersecurity.
Prevention is the best way to secure yourself and your business against cyber crime, but prevention requires awareness of the threats facing you and your data. With the exception of “ransomware,” many respondents were unfamiliar with other common threats, including credential stuffing. With only 31% of respondents indicating they regularly updated their passwords, it’s clear that simple preventive measures have not become habits. But you can change that.
In a field in which it is everything, why would you risk losing your reputation due to a data breach? After a breach, 60% of small businesses are out of business within 6 months, in part because of recovery costs (software, hardware), but mostly due to loss of reputation. Clients want to work with contractors who will protect their proprietary information and sensitive data.
You can be that cybersecure professional! Spend National Cybersecurity Awareness Month with us, and we’ll get you on the road to cybersecurity with solutions scaled to a growing small business or solo consultant (and without breaking the budget!).
All through the month of October we will be blogging about cybersecurity threats and solutions. Visit the web site and blog, follow DCC Cyber on Twitter, or join their CyberScoop mailing list for updates.
Remember, you are not to small to be a target.
Recent Posts by DCC Cyber
- That Ad Blocker You Installed? #Malware. September 27, 2019
- Yes, Your Smart Television Is Watching You September 19, 2019
- How Zombie Accounts Are Killing Your Cybersecurity September 18, 2019
- Tips & Tricks #1: Secure Your Wi-fi Router September 13, 2019
- Tips & Tricks #2: Update Your Wi-fi Router September 13, 2019
- Google Calendar Phish Attacking Users’ Cybersecurity & Privacy September 11, 2019
- Have You Been Pwned? Probably Yes, So Here’s What You Do September 10, 2019
- When 2FA Isn’t Enough: The High-Profile Cybersecurity Threat Targeting Business Owners & Investors September 9, 2019
- 6 Easy Ways to Protect Yourself from Smishing August 27, 2019
- Best IT Tool in a (Very) Small Business? Communication! August 13, 2019
- Ransomware Attacks: Map August 1, 2019